Finance Director Jobs
A company Finance Director is ultimately responsible for the overall day-to-day operation of the Finance team. They will usually have heavy input into operations, risk and compliance. It is the focus of the Finance Director to drive business success through providing valuable and credible financial insight.
Finance Director job description and responsibilities
As the connection between the Finance team and the CEO or CFO, the Finance Director duties typically involve:
- Developing financial and commercial strategy
- Day-to-day management of the Finance team
- Overseeing reporting, forecasting and budgeting via the finance team
- Preparing the monthly management accounts
- Managing cash flow
- Managing external relationships with banks, auditors, consultants etc.
- Offering support on tax, audit and risk
- Management of processes and controls
As a minimum employers will typically look for a finance or business related degree in a subject such as the following:
Finance Director job qualifications, experience and skills
Finance Directors are also typically qualified accountants (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) and should also have plenty of experience in dealing with commerciality, stakeholders and board members. It’s also helpful to have several years’ experience in a financial management role and experience with effective cost control. Finally it’s crucial that the Finance Director has very strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
Other skills that an employer may look for are:
- Strong business and commercial acumen
- Strategic thinking
- Naturally target driven with a natural ability to interpret figures
- Strong leadership capability
- Ability to influence and negotiate